tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Richard Mixon (qwest)" <rnmi...@qwest.net>
Subject RE: [OT] Serialization (was RE: Clustering question)
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 16:01:00 GMT
Peter Crowther wrote:
>> From: Dale, Matt [mailto:Matt.Dale@beCogent.com]
>> Yes this is a problem. All objects contained within a
>> serializable object must in turn be serializable themselves.
>
> Or marked as 'transient'.  This omits them from serialization.

If you mark them as transient, you may need need to implement a method
(ReadObject I believe) that properly initializes the transient
variables/objects.

There is an earlier post on this list where I describe how to do this. I
had a similar problem in that many of my classes had a Commons Logger
object stored in them. This had to be re-instatiated correctly when the
object was replicated.

HTH - Richard