tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Can't do logout in basic authentication
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:12:26 GMT
In most applications this is one of those *perceived* problems that
corporate users get uptight about.

The best way to prevent abuse of an idle authenticated browser window is
a screensaver with password lock -- as it protects the rest of the
computer, the documents thereon, etc.

The only really good case for a logout is where you have a shared
computer with many different users coming and going -- and all using a
single "guest" account on the client itself rather than separate
logins.  In this case a "logoff" button that closed down the browser
would not be a half bad idea :-)

--
Jess Holle

P.S.  Yes, I know transfering the name/password only on initial
authentication and using a session key of some sort from thereon out is
fractionally more secure -- but you still need HTTPS to really be secure
in either case.