tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Add Context Path, Tomcat 5.5.7
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2005 18:13:59 GMT
Hi.

Take a look at this for where to put <Context> elements:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/context.html

This is new with Tomcat 5.0 and is continued in Tomcat 5.5

--David

Scott Purcell wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am following the information here to add DBCP to my application.
>http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html
>
>I am reading to add the <Context path="/DBTest ... from the above docs." The instructions
say to ".

>Configure the JNDI DataSource in Tomcat by adding a declaration for your resource to $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml.
>
>Add this in between the </Context> tag of the examples context and the </Host>
tag closing the localhost definition.

>So cool, I opened up the server.xml, but do not see any existing context or host tags
in it. Here is my server.xml file. Does anyone know where I put the Context for the DBCP stuff?
Thanks,

> [...]
>           that are performed against this UserDatabase are immediately
>           available for use by the Realm.  -->
>      <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm"
>             resourceName="UserDatabase"/>
>
>      <!-- Comment out the old realm but leave here for now in case we
>           need to go back quickly -->
>      <!--
>      <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.MemoryRealm" />
>      -->
>
>      <!-- Replace the above Realm with one of the following to get a Realm
>           stored in a database and accessed via JDBC -->
>
>      <!--
>      <Realm  className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"
>             driverName="org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver"
>          connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost/authority"
>         connectionName="test" connectionPassword="test"
>              userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name" userCredCol="user_pass"
>          userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name" />
>      -->
>
>      <!--
>      <Realm  className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"
>             driverName="oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"
>          connectionURL="jdbc:oracle:thin:@ntserver:1521:ORCL"
>         connectionName="scott" connectionPassword="tiger"
>              userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name" userCredCol="user_pass"
>          userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name" />
>      -->
>
>      <!--
>      <Realm  className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"
>             driverName="sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"
>          connectionURL="jdbc:odbc:CATALINA"
>              userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name" userCredCol="user_pass"
>          userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name" />
>      -->
>
>      <!-- Define the default virtual host
>           Note: XML Schema validation will not work with Xerces 2.2.
>       -->
>      <Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps"
>       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
>       xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
>
>        <!-- Defines a cluster for this node,
>             By defining this element, means that every manager will be changed.
>             So when running a cluster, only make sure that you have webapps in there
>             that need to be clustered and remove the other ones.
>             A cluster has the following parameters:
>
>             className = the fully qualified name of the cluster class
>
>             name = a descriptive name for your cluster, can be anything
>
>             mcastAddr = the multicast address, has to be the same for all the nodes
>
>             mcastPort = the multicast port, has to be the same for all the nodes
>
>             mcastBindAddr = bind the multicast socket to a specific address
>
>             mcastTTL = the multicast TTL if you want to limit your broadcast
>
>             mcastSoTimeout = the multicast readtimeout
>
>             mcastFrequency = the number of milliseconds in between sending a "I'm alive"
heartbeat

>             mcastDropTime = the number a milliseconds before a node is considered "dead"
if no heartbeat is received

>             tcpThreadCount = the number of threads to handle incoming replication requests,
optimal would be the same amount of threads as nodes

>             tcpListenAddress = the listen address (bind address) for TCP cluster request
on this host,
>                                in case of multiple ethernet cards.
>                                auto means that address becomes
>                                InetAddress.getLocalHost().getHostAddress()
>
>             tcpListenPort = the tcp listen port
>
>             tcpSelectorTimeout = the timeout (ms) for the Selector.select() method in
case the OS
>                                  has a wakup bug in java.nio. Set to 0 for no timeout
>
>             printToScreen = true means that managers will also print to std.out
>
>             expireSessionsOnShutdown = true means that
>
>             useDirtyFlag = true means that we only replicate a session after setAttribute,removeAttribute
has been called.
>                            false means to replicate the session after each request.
>                            false means that replication would work for the following
piece of code: (only for SimpleTcpReplicationManager)
>                            <%
>                            HashMap map = (HashMap)session.getAttribute("map");
>                            map.put("key","value");
>                            %>
>             replicationMode = can be either 'pooled', 'synchronous' or 'asynchronous'.
>                               * Pooled means that the replication happens using several
sockets in a synchronous way. Ie, the data gets replicated, then the request return. This
is the same as the 'synchronous' setting except it uses a pool of sockets, hence it is multithreaded.
This is the fastest and safest configuration. To use this, also increase the nr of tcp threads
that you have dealing with replication.
>                               * Synchronous means that the thread that executes the request,
is also the
>                               thread the replicates the data to the other nodes, and
will not return until all
>                               nodes have received the information.
>                               * Asynchronous means that there is a specific 'sender'
thread for each cluster node,
>                               so the request thread will queue the replication request
into a "smart" queue,
>                               and then return to the client.
>                               The "smart" queue is a queue where when a session is added
to the queue, and the same session
>                               already exists in the queue from a previous request, that
session will be replaced
>                               in the queue instead of replicating two requests. This
almost never happens, unless there is a
>                               large network delay.
>        -->
>        <!--
>            When configuring for clustering, you also add in a valve to catch all the
requests
>            coming in, at the end of the request, the session may or may not be replicated.
>            A session is replicated if and only if all the conditions are met:
>            1. useDirtyFlag is true or setAttribute or removeAttribute has been called
AND