tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jon Wingfield <jon.wingfi...@mkodo.com>
Subject Re: [Slightly OT] CLASSPATH variable in catalina.sh
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2005 08:19:48 GMT
I don't think
${catalina.home}/common/classes/log4j.properties
is a valid classpath element.
An excerpt from the java tools doc says:
"How the Java Launcher Finds User Classes:
User classes are classes which build on the Java platform. To find user
classes, the launcher refers to the user class path -- a list of
directories, JAR archives, and ZIP archives which contain class files."

So - if you *really* want to go this road -
${catalina.home}/common/classes would probably be better.

However, since (IIRC) tomcat doesn't ship with axis you probably have it
  in your webapp's WEB-INF/lib. WEB-INF/classes takes precedence so if
the  properties file is there it should be picked up first. Ultimately,
I guess it all depends on the relative places in the classloader
hierarchy  of the log4j and axis jars.

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html

HTH,

Jon