tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "John B. Moore" <...@microps.com>
Subject Re: Configuring Manager for different Virtual Hosts
Date Sat, 02 Apr 2005 21:50:31 GMT
Folks,

   I got it working finally...(after several days of repeated head
banging..)

Following is how I got it to work (Tomcat 4.1.29)..

   1) Copy the folder

       $CATALINA_HOME/server/webapps/manager

     ..to the directory that contains your web application..

Example:

      $CATALINA_HOME = /usr/local/tomcat

      ..copy folder /usr/local/tomcat/server/webapps/manager to
/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/somesubdirectory/

   2) Copy the manager.xml found in the main webapps directory:

     $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/manager.xml

     ...to the same directory that you copied the manager folder..

   3) Edit manager.xml

      Change the "docBase" attribute to reflect the location copied to
above..

Example:

      docBase="/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/somesubdirectory/manager"

   4) Edit either your mod_jk.conf file or the specific copy for that
host.   (here I keep a custom conf file for each host, with the name of
that host.conf)  This is the same file or files that you "include" in
the Apache httpd.conf file   (There may be other ways around this, but
this is the way I did it..)

       a) Open the mod_jk.conf file (after Tomcat has be started at
least once if you have AutoConfig on..) and find the localhost:/manager
section.  Copy this entire section to the end of the JkMount commands..

       b) Paste this section into each VirtualHost setting (possibly a
different .conf file..)

       c) Edit the Alias and Directory tags to reflect the same full
path to the manager folder..

  5) Make sure you have setup the role "manager" in the tomcat_users.xml
file and a user for that role. (Instructions in the Manager HowTo)

  6) Restart Tomcat

  7) Access manager via a browser at

   http://your.domainhere.com:8080/manager/html

  (I have yet to get it to load directly through Apache yet..  for my
purposes this is fine and works for me..)

   Hope that helps someone...

   John Moore
   SonicSpider LLC