tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "John B. Moore" <>
Subject Configuring Manager for different Virtual Hosts
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 18:08:48 GMT
I know I saw the info on this topic somewhere, but for the life of me, I
can not relocate it.. (can not come up with the magic search strings...
I spent hours trying different searches...)

Task: I am trying to configure the Manager tool to manage different
virtual hosts on a webserver  (Apache -> Tomcat 4.1.29) so that I can
restart a single webapplication when I make changes.

I have various subdirectories under webapps that are configured as
separate hosts and contexts

i.e. /webapps/someapp/

In that directory I have a web application and I want the setup  the
Manager for stopping and starting this app..

Using the example for the localhost context I saw the alias

Alias /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/../server/webapps/manager

..along with all the related settings...

Since my webapp is in  /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/someapp/

I tried..

Alias /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/someapp/../../server/webapps/manager

.. along with related settings...  No joy.. it dropped the first "../"
and still can not track to that alias directory..

So am I chasing my tail..<G>   And/or can someone point me to that
phantom discusson on setting up the manager for other host/context/