tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ikonne, Ike" <Ike_Iko...@stercomm.com>
Subject RE: How do I restrict access to webapps applications from browser users?
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:32:53 GMT
Hi Jason,

It is more like the last thing you listed below.  I know that when fronted with
Apache, that can be done, I thought tomcat had similar directory control that
apache has without having to setup security constraints.  You basically nailed
it, I may have to tell my clients to just front tomcat with Apache.

Again, thanks for your response

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Bainbridge [mailto:jbainbridge@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 4:27 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: How do I restrict access to webapps applications from
browser users?

On 4/13/05, Ikonne, Ike <Ike_Ikonne@stercomm.com> wrote:
> Hi Darryl,
>
> Thanks, I thought there was another way to do it other than setting up
> security constraints and making users to get the signon page that is
> associated with this.

Maybe you need to describe what you are actually trying to achieve by
this setup.

Are you trying to make it so the content can only be streamed from a
JSP/servlet and not accessed directly via the web? (Often done for
images and confidential stuff like documents etc)

or

Are you trying to lock certain users out of certain directories?

If you are trying to protect static content you might be best off
using Apache and utilising .htaccess files but it all depends what you
are trying to do...

Regards,
--
Jason Bainbridge