tomcat-users mailing list archives

From R A <java2des...@yahoo.com>
Subject Tomcat 5.5 - WAR file deployment and <Context/>
Date Fri, 22 Apr 2005 20:15:28 GMT

When Tomcat deployed the WAR file, it created an xml file named the war file in the J:\Apache
Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5\conf\Catalina\localhost directory. This entry is similar to
the one in the server.xml file.  I read the doco for Context, and it seems as though it can
be placed in a few directories.

My question: I assume both files(server.xml and the one under Catalina) include the same <Context
/> attrinutes, but which one has priority or  which one is executed last. I assume the
xml file under Catalina executes last, since it was designed for hot deploying WAR files,
overriding any current setting??

WAR file updates. I read the doco for the deployOnStartup switch, and it states that if an
app with the WAR file name exist, it is deleted and redeployed. Is there any setting that
redeploys without deleting the current  webapp??