tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Lionel Farbos <lionel.far...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [OT] Proper way to open threads in a servlet
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 11:03:02 GMT
On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 11:45:40 +0100
"Mark Benussi" <mark_benussi@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I would place your e-mail in a MailManager that queues the messages and
> sends them out on a TimerTask (Every 10 seconds???).
>
> Secondly from a pernickety perspective I would not have a Servlet doing any
> of what you described. At least place this code a level down in a Manager
> class that can coordinate with the MailManager.

But the MailManager you speak about, doesn't exist in Tomcat.
So, it runs in the Tomcat's jvm (I understood Steve didn't want this) or in other jvm ?
And, if it is in another jvm, how your servlet communicate with the MailManager ?

Rather than TimerTasks, a good issue for these needs could be Quartz (http://www.opensymphony.com/quartz/)