tomcat-users mailing list archives

From ajay kumar <ajay...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: still not clear with connection pooling in tomcat
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:09:00 GMT
Hi
       I also struggled for the Tomcat Connection Pooling problem for
one week and i got the solution.

write the follwing code snippets in respective files:

---------web.xml--------------
     <resource-ref>
	   <res-ref-name>jdbc/TestDB</res-ref-name>
	   <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
    </resource-ref>

--------------------------server.xml---------------
write the following code in server.xml in Context tag
<Resource
	name="jdbc/TestDB"
	auth="Container"
	type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
<ResourceParams name="jdbc/TestDB">
	<parameter>
		<name>factory</name>
	</parameter>
	<parameter>
		<name>driverClassName</name>
		<value>writer the driver class which you are using</value>
	</parameter>
	<parameter>
		<name>url</name>
		<value>write the url here</value>
	</parameter>
	<parameter>
		<name>username</name>
		<value></value>
	</parameter>
	<parameter>
		<name>password</name>
		<value></value>
	</parameter>
	<parameter>
		<name>maxActive</name>
		<value>20</value>
	</parameter>
	<parameter>
		<name>maxIdle</name>
		<value>10</value>
	</parameter>
	<parameter>
		<name>maxWait</name>
		<value>-1</value>
	</parameter>
	<parameter>
		<name>removeAbandoned</name>
		<value>true</value>
	</parameter>
	<parameter>
		<name>removeAbandonedTimeout</name>
		<value>300</value>
	</parameter>
	<parameter>
		<name>logAbandoned</name>
		<value>true</value>
	</parameter>
</ResourceParams>

and also add the following code in the file in which you are using
database code and import javax.naming.* and javax.sql.* packages..

     Context ctx=new InitialContext();
     DataSource ds=(DataSource)ctx.lookup("java:/comp/env/jdbc/TestDB");
     Connection con=ds.getConnection();
     Statement st = con.createStatement();

Make sure that commons-dbcp,commons-collections and commons-pool files
in common/lib directory.
         I hope that this mail will help you in finding out the solution.

regards,

-Ajay Kumar

On Apr 10, 2005 1:20 AM, Krishnakant Mane <compactsolution@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> thanks a lot doug,
> if I have any problem I will trouble again.
> just a couple of questions.
> there were two parameters in the email you sent the
> other day.
> I did not get the meaning of those parameters stating
> that active connections should be 100 and the other
> with 30 as the value.
> what is the difference between max active and inactive
> connections?
> and just a curious question,
> is tomcat really used on heavy duty commertial
> websites?
> thanks
> Krishnakant.

Ajay