tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jorge Davila <>
Subject Re: Type of server
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:18:47 GMT
This is from the online doc.

Tomcat 5 implements the Servlet 2.4 and JavaServer Pages 2.0
specifications from the Java Community Process, and includes many
additional features that make it a useful platform for developing and
deploying web applications and web services.

The generalized idea is:

| http request/response (maybe this request is to an application)
APACHE web server (with mod_proxy enabled)
receive the request. if the request is a request to an application
within tomcat apache send the request to tomcat (the container of web
| request is forwarded to the container
| request is forwarded (again) to the appropriated application.
| query to a db store

Jorge Dávila.