tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Just another UFO mechanic <os...@ufomechanic.net>
Subject Re: snmp and Nagios
Date Sun, 24 Apr 2005 17:42:52 GMT
Check out this new to the 1.5 JRE this will help with the memory and GC
stuff.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/management/SNMP.html

Fantastic well done SUN

The manager app on tomcat can give you the session data but if you want
the data through a network mgmt tool typically the best way is through
SNMP which you could install a SNMP agent on your machines and then
write scripts that run off you own MIB. Thats quite difficult to do.

How about do wget on the manager app and a bit of perl/sh to parse what
comes out you should be able to put that into a Event LOG in the DB.

On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 17:28, lawrence wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> New to the tomcat list.
>
> I have spent the last few days searching the net for ideas on how to monitor tomcat via
SNMP.
> I am trying to gather information like:
> Number of sessions per minute.
> Number of spare threads etc.
>
> Basically I am trying to get over all health of the tomcat servers(s)
>
> The trick is, I am trying to trap this information with my monitoring server (Nagios)
so I can alert on it and have all my monitoring in a central location.

> Can anyone give me any pointers, solutions, examples for this? I have not been able to
come up with many Open Source solutions.