tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Will Hartung" <wi...@msoft.com>
Subject Re: How get www.site.com homepage requests to forward to Tomcat without a redirect?
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2005 00:11:15 GMT

Technically, yes. Realistically, no. Does that hand off and transfer affect
the total overall packet time? Of course, but it's all handled within the
kernel of the machine, versus going out over the wire, so it's not really
noticable. Measureable? Sure. But so is shortening your network cables. Want
to easily speed up your network traffic 100%? Cut all of your cables in
half. So, seriously, don't worry about it too much.

If your site is getting 1000 visitors a day, over 10 hours, that's less than
2 per minute. You can look at your logs and measure your peak times if you
like. Trust me, you're not stressing anything here, and Tomcat will have no
problems whatsoever handling that traffic. Would it handle the 1000 users if
they all showed up at once? Probably not, but you'd be fixing other things
before Tomcat then anyway.

Tomcat will happily saturate your internet connection.

Best of luck.

Regards,

Will Hartung
(willh@msoft.com)