tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Parsons Technical Services" <parsonstechni...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: still not clear with connection pooling in tomcat
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:36:16 GMT
No problem.

With a one to one, set up the dataresource in the context element of the
app.

Place this after your context element. You will need to either declare one
in the server.xml, in your app war file or create a file yourapp.xml and
place it in the Tomcat dir:
tomcat_home/conf/Catalina/localhost or the matching host for the app.

<Resource name="jdbc/TestDB"
               auth="Container"
               type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>

  <ResourceParams name="jdbc/TestDB">
    <parameter>
      <name>factory</name>
    </parameter>

    <parameter>
      <name>maxActive</name>
      <value>100</value>
    </parameter>

    <parameter>
      <name>maxIdle</name>
      <value>30</value>
    </parameter>

     <parameter>
      <name>maxWait</name>
      <value>10000</value>
    </parameter>

     <parameter>
     <name>username</name>
     <value>javauser</value>
    </parameter>
    <parameter>
     <name>password</name>
     <value>javadude</value>
    </parameter>

     <parameter>
       <name>driverClassName</name>
       <value>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</value>
    </parameter>

    <parameter>
      <name>url</name>
      <value>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/javatest?autoReconnect=true</value>
    </parameter>
  </ResourceParams>

Make sure the resource name= resourceParams name= and the name called out in
the class I sent in the last email all match including case.
Set the url to match the database name in place of javatest. And use the
user and password you created for the database.

I create a user in the database and limit the rights to only the one databse
and with limited rights.

Add this to the web.xml for the app:

   <resource-ref>
      <description>DB Connection</description>
      <res-ref-name>jdbc/TestDB</res-ref-name>
      <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
  </resource-ref>

Again match the res-ref-name to the name used above for the resource.

And that should get things talking if you have set up all the database and
users.

The above examples are from:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html

Good luck.