tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Adam Lipscombe" <adam.lipsco...@expensys.com>
Subject Session object not the same in different JSP's
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:56:24 GMT
Folks,

I have an odd problem the manifests intermittently with TC 5.0.27 and Struts
1.1. I am not sure if it's a TC problem or Struts. I think its TC, but
apologies if this is not the correct forum.

The problem is this:

If validation errors are detected the app code stores them in the Struts
ActionError(s) object in the usual manner. The source JSP is then
re-displayed and a modal dialog box (another JSP) is popped (via calling a
Struts .do URL) to display the errors.

The ActionErrors object is passed from the ,ain JSP to the modal dialog box
JSP by storing it in the session object. The dialog code then fishes out the
ActionErrors object and loops through the errors, displaying each one.

Most of the time this works fine. However occasionally the session object
that is used by the caller (i.e. the JSP) and the dialog are not the same
instance. i.e. The ActionErrors Object is stored in session X but the modal
dialog JSP uses session Y.

I was surprised by this to put it mildly. I thought the session had to be
the same.

If I restart TC having cleared out the work dir it all seem OK again.

Does anyone have any ideas?

TIA - Adam