tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "joelsherriff" <joelsherr...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: How to use servlet filters without modifying webapp
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:08:12 GMT
I've done that, thanks.  Here's what I added for the filter:

    <filter>
        <filter-name>timerFilter</filter-name>
        <filter-class>TimerFilter</filter-class>
    </filter>

    <filter-mapping>
        <filter-name>timerFilter</filter-name>
        <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
    </filter-mapping>

to my web.xml.  It appears to be finding it properly.  If I change the
filter name to a non-existent filter, I
properly get a ClassNotFoundException.  So it's something IN the filter, or
so it would seem.  All I've
done is copy an example filter from the web - it looks like:

import java.io.*;
import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;

public class TimerFilter implements Filter {

  private FilterConfig config = null;

  public void init(FilterConfig config) throws ServletException {
    this.config = config;
  }

  public void destroy() {
    this.config = null;
  }

  public void doFilter(ServletRequest request, ServletResponse response,
                     FilterChain chain) throws IOException, ServletException
{
    long before = System.currentTimeMillis();
    chain.doFilter(request, response);
    long after = System.currentTimeMillis();

    String name = "";
    if (request instanceof HttpServletRequest) {
      name = ((HttpServletRequest)request).getRequestURI();
    }
    config.getServletContext().log(name + ": " + (after - before) + "ms");
  }
}