tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Parsons Technical Services" <parsonstechni...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: still not clear with connection pooling in tomcat
Date Sun, 03 Apr 2005 19:33:23 GMT
In the beginning a programmer created .......

Seriously it goes like this:

To use pooling in Tomcat you can forget a lot of what is in the java api as
Tomcat uses this to provide pooling for you.

Steps to take:

1.Determine the database you are going to use.
2.Get the JDBC drivers for that database and put them in common/lib
3.Determine if the database pool is going to serve one application or many.
4.If many, set up a Global Resource in server.xml
5.If many, add a resource link to the context for each app
4a. If one, set up a resource in the context.
5a.If one, do nothing.
6.Create a class that makes a call to retrieve the resource from the
context.
7.From that resource a datasource is received.
8.Ask for a connection from the datasource.
9.Tomcat will give you a connection from the pool it creates when it sets up
the resource.
10.Use this connection as you would one from a datamanager.
11.Close the connection when you are done and Tomcat will put it back in the
pool.
12.DO NOT call DataManager as you will bypass the connection pool.

Now after reading this, to help us give you more help please fill in the
details above on 1,2 and 3.
Give us the exact version of Tomcat.
And OS version.

Doug