tomcat-users mailing list archives

From d...@lexmark.com
Subject Re: JK1.2.9 and dynamic change of properties
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:34:57 GMT

Hi Mladen,

Just to clarify - will this allow us to configure the load-balancing on the
fly according to the load of the tomcat's involved?

cheers,

David

|         |           Mladen Turk      |
|         |           <mladen.turk@jbos|
|         |           s.com>           |
|         |           02/24/2005 12:55 |
|         |           "Tomcat Users    |
|         |           List"            |

Lionel Farbos wrote:
> A question for JK workers :
> I see in the JK 1.2.9 roadmap that a dynamic change of workers'properties
will be possible at runtime.

> But, actually, when I do "apache reload", the change is possible at
runtime without loosing requests. No ?

Yes and no. You will lose all the connections to tomcats on gracefull
restart. Not to mention that if you make an syntax error in the config
the apache will exit, so you will need to check that before.

It can take up to session time for child to exit 30 seconds or more.

> So, what is the innovation of this feature ?

Changes are visible immediately thanks to shared memory, and
you are not loosing existing connections.
Also the loadbalancer stats are visible for all child processes.
And you don't need access to filesystem (except for JkMountFile).
It works on all platforms.

Regards,
Mladen.