tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Cannot compile class in WEB-INF/classes
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:53:19 GMT
> From: Rahul Joshi [mailto:rj365@yahoo.com]
> Subject: RE: Cannot compile class in WEB-INF/classes
>
> I did not try compiling it at an external location. I
> thought I would compile it in classes and then delete
> the source java file later.

That shouldn't matter.  You can leave the source in the WEB-INF/classes directory if you wish;
Tomcat will pay no attention to it.

> But does it mean that a java file cannot be compiled
> in "WEB-INF/classes" if it is accessing Tomcat's own
> servlet-api.jar?

As another responder stated earlier, Tomcat will not compile your utility classes - you have
to do that on your own.  To do so, you need to tell javac (or whatever compiler you're using)
what path to use to find the imported packages.  The compiler doesn't know where Tomcat puts
things.

 - Chuck