tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adrian Robert <arob...@cogsci.ucsd.edu>
Subject Re: How to approximate tomcat-5.0/4.x/3.x logging in 5.5?
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:11:27 GMT
>> OK, thanks to your vote of confidence in the method, I dug further and
>> discovered that my WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties was never being
>> found.  If I put the log4j.properties into the same jar (in
>> WEB-INF/lib) with the class that was instantiating the Logger, it
>> worked correctly.
>>

> That's extremely odd.  What version of Tomcat are you running?  That's
> a bug
> because WEB-INF/classes should be put in the classpath before jars in
> WEB-INF/lib.

This is 5.5.7, with the 1.4 compatibility package on MacOS.  I've
experienced similar issues before with different tomcat versions,
though I had forgotten that in this case..

Note I do NOT unpack the app from a war, just copy the full hierarchy
straight under webapps.  Also, the WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties
file was a symblic link.  Maybe one of these makes a difference?