tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 5 java.lang.outOfMemory
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2005 16:46:10 GMT
Hi,

The answer is not always to throw more memory at your application.

The best answer is to test whether you actually need more memory or whether you are leaking
it somehow.

So find a profiler, get it to talk to Tomcat, and then run your JSP and watch the method call
tree, heap monitor and hot spots etc... You will need to grab something like JProfiler, JProbe
or others ... they usually know how to connect to Tomcat 5 for you, it's not too hard.

Also, you may want to upgrade your Tomcat I think 5.0.19 had an issue anyway with memory,
and finally you'll want to ensure when dealing with database connectivity that you are freeing
up resources like result sets and so on with close() calls (depending on what you are doing).

Allistair.

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software
Registered in England: No 2582055