tomcat-users mailing list archives

From <supp...@blizzard.com>
Subject Support Information Regarding - C0000005
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 20:19:36 GMT
Thank you for emailing Blizzard Entertainments Technical Support Department. In order to provide
you with greater assistance, we have developed an automated reply system which evaluates your
message and generates a detailed response towards it.

Please read through this message as our automated reply system has helped many of our customers.
If the response given below does not assist you or it is not relevant towards your message,
please reply back to this email and a live technician will respond to you as soon as possible.

Support Information Regarding - C0000005:

If you are getting the error "Unhandled Exception: Access Violation C0000005":

Uninstall and reinstall the game and download and install the latest patch from: (http://www.blizzard.com/patches)

If this doesn't work, please try some of our other solutions:

For Warcraft III Reign of Chaos:

We recommend running in a selective startup to improve performance and stability.  Firewall
software, such as Zone Alarm, can cause lockups or prevent the game from starting. For instructions
on how to run your computer in a selective startup, please visit our site at: (http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=agn0558p).

If the solution above does not help, please try the steps below.

Download and install the latest DirectX from (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx?url=/windows/directx/downloads/default.htm)
Make sure you have the latest drivers for your Video and Sound cards, next. A list of manufacturers
with contact information can be found at (http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=msi0369p).

Download and install the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard.  Check the motherboard
manufacturer's website for updated chipset drivers, first.  If you can't find updated drivers
at the manufacturer's website, the next two most common locations for chipset drivers are
(http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2) and (http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/)

If Warcraft III still has errors after updating drivers, download war3.reg from (http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/war3/other/)
and save it to your Windows Desktop.  Once the file has been downloaded, double-click on it
to import the registry info.  This file will set Warcraft III to mute sound, run with the
basic settings for video and set the refresh rate for the monitor to 60Hz.  Once the game
has started, you may select the options menu and adjust the video and sound settings as desired.

For StarCraft users:
Click on Start.
Click on Run.
Type "regedit" and click Ok.
Click on the + icon beside the "HKey_Local_Machine" branch.
Click on the + icon beside the "Software" branch.
Select the "Battle.net" branch and press the delete key.
Click on the + icon beside the "HKey_Current_User" branch.
Click on the + icon beside the "Software" branch.
Select the "Battle.net" branch and press the delete key.

For Diablo II and Diablo II: Lord of Destruction:

The first step in fixing this problem is to make sure you have the latest patch for the game.
You can download the latest patch by going to (http://www.blizzard.com/patches).

Next, download and install the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard.  Check the motherboard
manufacturer's website for updated chipset drivers, first.  The two most common locations
for chipset drivers are (http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2) and (http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/).

The next step if the patch does not work is to play the game in 2D mode if you are currently
running in 3D. You can change this setting by re-running the Video Test. To run this test,
click on Start, then Programs, then Diablo II and then Video Test.  Also, try turning off
the Automap as a troubleshooting step.

Check your CD-ROM settings using the information provided at the following link:
(http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=mdb0404p)

If this error persists, please send us any new D2#####.txt and/or D2debug.txt files from the
Diablo II folder on your hard drive.  This will allow us to better troubleshoot your problem.

Finally, you may have noticed that Diablo II causes the computer to work really hard. This
is largely due to the many textures that are being used by the game at any given time, especially
in 3D modes. Because of this, sometimes users who have this problem do not have trouble with
any other programs. Sometimes this error will occur if your computer gets too hot, so anything
you can do to lower the operating temperature of your computer might be useful. Lowering the
clock speed will lower the operating temperature. You should also make sure that your processor
is adequately cooled with a cooling fan and heatsink. Your processor manufacturer has specific
recommendations for cooling fans for some of their chips.

Please visit us on our Blizzard Entertainment Support site at (http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=mdt0274p)
for our latest solutions to this problem.

Again, if the response given above has not assisted you or it was not relevant towards your
message, please reply back to this email and a live technician will respond to you as soon
as possible.

Best Regards,
Blizzard Support Team
http://www.blizzard.com/support
Blizzard Entertainment

If you respond to this email, please attach all previous messages and files relating to this
issue.

Under heavy loads the following errors appear in the mod_jk.log:

     [jk_ajp_common.c (681)]: ERROR: can't receive the response message from tomcat, network
problems or tomcat is down.
     [jk_ajp_common.c (1050)]: Error reading reply from tomcat. Tomcat is down or network
problems.
     [jk_ajp_common.c (1187)]: ERROR: Receiving from tomcat failed, recoverable operation.
err=0
     [jk_ajp_common.c (681)]: ERROR: can't receive the response message from tomcat, network
problems or tomcat is down.
     [jk_ajp_common.c (1050)]: Error reading reply from tomcat. Tomcat is down or network
problems.
     [jk_ajp_common.c (1187)]: ERROR: Receiving from tomcat failed, recoverable operation.
err=1
     [jk_ajp_common.c (681)]: ERROR: can't receive the response message from tomcat, network
problems or tomcat is down.
     [jk_ajp_common.c (1050)]: Error reading reply from tomcat. Tomcat is down or network
problems.
     [jk_ajp_common.c (1187)]: ERROR: Receiving from tomcat failed, recoverable operation.
err=2
     [jk_ajp_common.c (1198)]: Error connecting to tomcat. Tomcat is probably not started
or is listenning on the wrong port. Failed errno =
104

Some requests are handled just fine during the time when these problems are occuring, others
result in the end users recieving the "Internal Server Error" from apache.  The problem corrects
itself, with the only tell-tale sign being the messages in the logfile.

Based on comments in other threads and on other sites, we changed the configuration of our
Connector to include connectionTimeout="-1"
(disable connection timeouts - on very fast machines apache can apparently timeout before
tomcat has a chance to respond), increase maxProcessors to 100 (from default of 75 - by running
a ps and grep-ing for the number of tomcat processes, we can see that we are consistently
running the maximum number of processes), and increase acceptCount to 100 (because our requests
tend to take a fairly long time to be turned around by tomcat (lots of backend processing),
we have a high number of concurrent requests).

Configuration:
   Apache 2.0.44 connected to Tomcat 4.1.24 with mod_jk, loadbalancing between 2 tomcat instances

Environment:
   Red Hat  (2.4.18-24.7.xsmp)
   Dell PowerEdge 1650
   4G RAM

>From server.xml
port="11009"
                minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="100" acceptCount="100"
debug="0"
                connectionTimeout="-1" enableLookups="false"/>

I've configured each tomcat instance to use 1G of memory (-Xmx), although after running with
gc logging on (-Xloggc), it appears that each instance is using only 65M - 120M.

It appears to me that the problem is in the communication between apache and tomcat, and since
we only see the problem during periods of heavy usage,  I had been concentrating my efforts
on tuning the parameters in the Connector.

But my recent changes (maxProcessors from 75 to 100 and acceptCount from 10 to 100) don't
seem to have alleviated the problem.  Is it simply that they should be turned up further,
or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Any thoughts would be immensely appreciated.