tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Arthur D'Alessandro <art.dalessan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Failed JDBC connection hangs Tomcat
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 13:40:32 GMT
What version of the JTDS are you referring to, I know they recently
released 1.0 code...

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:06:07 -0800, Hari Mailvaganam <hariubc@gmail.com> wrote:
> The JTDS driver can cause the hanging you described - this has occured
> in a test we did on Win 2k, SQL Server 2k, 1.5 JDK.
>
> reagrds,
>
> Hari Mailvaganam
>

> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 08:39:50 +0200, Igor <ia_rud@ukr.net> wrote:
> > We have the same problem, that described in
> >
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg58799.html
> >
> > There is ServletContextListener in our application, that schedule two tasks for
repeated fixed rate execution on context initialization (Timer.scheduleAtFixedRate).

> > First task is executed every minute. It queries MS SQL server, second task is executed
every hour.

> > If MS SQL server goes down, first task tries to use connection to database.
> > After this Tomcat may hang: when user tries to download a page, he or her will wait
for a long time (more that 1 day).

> > At the same time second taks (that is executed every hour) works as it was expected:
there are corresponding entries in log file.

> > First task is executed in separate thread, and I do not understand how can it hang
whole tomcat (at least one context).

> > We use JDK 1.5, tomcat 5.0.28. The same problem was on 1.4.2. Both for MS and JTDS
drivers :-(

> > Does somebody know how can I prevent tomcat from hang in such situations?
> >
> > Thank you in advance,
> > Igor

-Art D'Alessandro