tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Sam Halicke" <shali...@imsurenetwork.com>
Subject Several configuration issues with Tomcat 5.5.7/Apache2 compiling JSPs
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:10:05 GMT
Hi all, first time posting to the list.

I'm having several problems migrating JSPs and class/jar files to Tomcat
5.5.7 from Tomcat 3. I understand this is a big move, but I'm trying to
avoid any rewrite of the JSPs themselves. Documentation for tomcat 5.5.x is
rather sparse and terribly cryptic.

Each webapp is using its own local classes (which I have copied into the
local WEB-INF directory in /classes /lib etc.), as well as some common
classes/jars which have been copied into the /tomcat/common/ directory tree.
Should I be using the /tomcat/shared/ tree? This does not seem to matter as
jasper will consistently throw me errors from compiling the JSPs.

Here is the root cause of one such error:

HTTP 500 - Internal Server Error

ROOT CAUSE
java.lang.NullPointerException
	biz.shipflex.Configuration.getConfiguration(Configuration.java:51)

org.apache.jsp.ShipFlex.Website.MainPage_jsp._jspService(org.apache.jsp.Ship
Flex.Website.MainPage_jsp:52)
	org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:99)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:3
25)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:295)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:245)

My basic setup is as follows:

Apache 2.x 		/usr/local/apache
Tomcat 5.5.7	/usr/local/tomcat

[root@dev02 tomcat]# echo $CLASSPATH
/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/Common/Classes/:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/Shipping
/Classes/:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/scripts/Classes/:/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_01/l
ib/

I have a feeling its something with my CLASSPATH, again, this is a touchy
migration.

I'll gladly copy any portions of web.xml and/or server.xml, etc to an
additional message if needed. Any help or suggestions on things/files to
look at would be most appreciated.

TIA