tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Benson Margulies" <bim2...@basistech.com>
Subject RE: Arabic encoding
Date Sun, 27 Feb 2005 14:08:04 GMT
It depends on what the Oracle JDBC driver does with byte values that are
not legitimate US7ASCII. If, for some reason, it treated the data as
ISO-8859-1 instead of US7ASCII, then it might have streamed out through
tomcat, and the browser would have auto-detected the CP1256 pretending
to be ISO-8859-1.

-----Original Message-----
From: Fadwa Barham [mailto:fadwa@najah.edu]
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2005 1:43 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Arabic encoding

But I wonder why the old tomcat and java displayed arabic correctly, and
I use the same classes12.jar in both of the old and the new.
I want to know what is the differance, what encoding they stopped to
support? It looks like that tomcat cannot understand the old Java cause
I have to change the encoding to arabic windows in the internet explorer
each time I request the servlet, and when I do this, every arabic
character is displayed correctly.
I think it is better to understand the problem and the changes so I can
handle the problem if I faced it again in the newer versions of tomcat
or Java.
I know that being the database in us7ascii is not good, but changing the
database encoding each time I face the problem is not the right way. I
may change it this time, but I need to understand.
thanks