tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Richard Mixon (qwest)" <rnmi...@qwest.net>
Subject RE: Tomcat 5.5.7 cannot connect to mysql datasource - what changed? New approach
Date Mon, 21 Feb 2005 22:49:26 GMT
Sorry to repost - but, except for some great suggestions from Shakeel, I
have not made much progress on this. To my way of thinking this seems
maddenly simple - either a config error or possibly bug. But what?

So my first place to start is to try and see where it is that the
userName property get mangled or swallowed. I've double checkd and it is
correctly specified in my context.xml But by the time the failure
occurs, it is a null or empty string.

So, how can I enable logging on my DBCP datasource so that I can see
where the connection "userName" property gets trashed? I've tried
putting org.apache.commons.dbcp in my log4j.properties, but do not seem
to get any additional output. Once I can see if things are passed
correctly here, I'll look at the MySQL Connector/J logging (although it
is not obvious how to do this).

Any suggestions?

Thanks - Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Mixon (qwest) [mailto:rnmixon@qwest.net]
Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2005 7:53 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Tomcat 5.5.7 cannot connect to mysql datasource - what changed?

We have been using Sun Java 1.4.2, Tomcat 5.0.19, MySQL 4.1.7, MySQL
Connector/J 3.0.15 with Hibernate 2.1.7c with no problems. This is on
both Windows XP Pro SP2 (development) and SuSE Linux SLES9 (test and
production).

In order to get failover to work the way we wanted we upgraded to Tomcat
5.5.7 and Sun Java 1.5. The main change in our application was the new
format for data soruces in the application context. No problem on
Windows XP. We've tried to install on one of our Linux servers and are
having no end of grief getting a DB connection to properly happen.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. I've included the
application context and the catalina log error messages below.

Thanks in advance - Richard

***-> APPLICATION CONTEXT:
<Context path="/stars" docBase="stars" debug="99" reloadable="true"
    privileged="true" antiResourceLocking="false" antiJARLocking="true"

        prefix="stars." suffix=".log" timestamp="true"/>
    <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"
          driverName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
       connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://192.168.11.3:3306/ltojsw?autoReconnec
t=true&amp;autoCommit=true"
      connectionName="ltojsw" connectionPassword="586579"
           userTable="PoAssociate" userNameCol="userid"
userCredCol="password"
       userRoleTable="PoUserRole" roleNameCol="roleName" />
    <Resource            name="jdbc/stars"
                         type="javax.sql.DataSource"
                         auth="Container"
                    maxActive="100"
                      maxIdle="10"
                      maxWait="10000"
            defaultAutoCommit="true"
                     userName="ltojsw"
                     password="586579"
              driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
                          url="jdbc:mysql://192.168.11.3:3306/ltojsw?aut
oReconnect=true&amp;autoCommit=true"
              removeAbandoned="true"
        removeAbandonedTimeout="60"
                  logAbandoned="true"
    />
</Context>

***-> CATALINA ERROR MESSAGES:

<SNIP>
19:37:27,642  INFO [http-8080-Processor25]
DatasourceConnectionProvider:51 - Using datasource:
java:comp/env/jdbc/stars
19:37:27,648  INFO [http-8080-Processor25]
TransactionManagerLookupFactory:33 - No TransactionManagerLookup
configured (in JTA environment, use of process level read-write cache is
not recommended)
AbandonedObjectPool is used
(org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.AbandonedObjectPool@6239da8a)
   LogAbandoned: true
   RemoveAbandoned: true
   RemoveAbandonedTimeout: 60
19:37:41,696  WARN [http-8080-Processor25] SettingsFactory:107 - Could
not obtain connection metadata
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create
PoolableConnectionFactory (Server connection failure during transaction.
Due to underlying exception: 'java.sql.SQLException: Access denied for
user ''@'kingfishS11' (using password: YES)'.

** BEGIN NESTED EXCEPTION **

java.sql.SQLException
MESSAGE: Access denied for user ''@'kingfishS11' (using password: YES)