tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Peter Crowther" <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject [OT] RE: Preferred Platform for Tomcat5
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2005 17:40:22 GMT
> From: Peter Lin [mailto:woolfel@gmail.com]
> makes me wonder how many people bother to upgrade to the latest/newest
> hardware :)

Fewer as the hardware becomes 'fast enough'.  For example, up until
2001, the training centre I managed still used three Linux firewalls I'd
built.  486SX/25, 8Mbytes, 170Mbyte HDD, each with four 10/100 ISA
netcards.  Each could keep up a very respectable 5Mbyte/s throughput;
they were fast enough, reliable (and we had images of the HDDs and spare
hardware); why upgrade?  These machines once got to 14 months uptime
before a UPS failure(!) took them out; other times, they were restarted
once a year when the building power was tested.

		- Peter