tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Wille" <tomcat-l...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Memory leak in tomcat 5.0.28
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2005 19:25:29 GMT
I've figured out my problem. I'm posting what I've discovered for the
benefit of others. The SystemLogHandler uses a map called logs where the key
is a ThreadWithAttributes and the value is a stack of CaptureLogs. The
problem is that when a thread dies, the ThreadWithAttributes object lives
forever because the map is never cleaned out. Threads come and go in the
thread pool, so stuff keeps accumulating there forever. You can prevent the
problem by turning off swallowOutput.

logs should be a ThreadLocal, not a map. That way the ThreadWithAttributes
objects can be collected (as well as the stack of CaptureLogs).