tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: tomcat CPU utilization pegged...total CPU only 50%
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2005 06:00:19 GMT
> From: Kevin Williams [mailto:KWilliams@centerlogic.com]
> Subject: RE: tomcat CPU utilization pegged...total CPU only 50%
>
> 1.  Yes, tomcat is running as a service.

You might want to shutdown that service and run it from a command-line window, at least for
testing purposes.  Easier to fiddle with heap size options and the like.

> 2.  I am not aware of any CPU affinity settings.

They won't show up in Task Manager.  Not sure if the plain Windows Server supports affinity;
my experience with that capability was on a 32-CPU Advanced (Enterprise?) Server system which
I no longer have access to.  There's an mmc plug in Admin Tools that lets you play with associating
processes with CPUs, if it's available in your OS.

> 3.  I'm not sure what options are set with the jvm (I didn't
> install the service).

IIRC, the default heap size for the 1.4.1 JVM on Windows is only 64 MB, and that's really
not enough for any serious work.  I suspect that you're spending much of your time in garbage
collection.

 - Chuck