tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Paul Erion <>
Subject Re: Serving up a Flash file
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2005 06:28:49 GMT
    > Jason Bainbridge <> wrote:
    > Okay that scares me, you're developing web applications ...

Don't worry.  No one's paying me for this -- I'm just fooling around
on my own, trying to learn some stuff

    > ... but don't know what the file:/ URI does?

Well, I *am* kind of an idiot -- and I'm also pretty sure that nothing
that I write here will disprove it.

    > Anyway why it works on the localhost is that it is trying to load the
    > file from the C: drive of the machine the page is opened on and well
    > it's there on the server but obviously not on the client.

Thanks for the explanation.  I was erroneously assuming that the URL
would be evaluated in the context of the server.

    > What you need to do is generate the Flash file in a directory that
    > Jboss/Tomcat serves files from like webapps\yourwebappname\flash_files
    > or similar and then the value= in your embed needs to be relative to
    > the location of the JSP that includes the tag.

This makes it interesting ... in the scenario that I'm envisioning,
the Flash files are generated prior to a user's request to view the
file, and there's not a fixed number of files (that is, new files will
be continuously generated).  Consequently, I didn't want to store the
files in the same directory hierarchy as the web app (somehow that
didn't seem like a good idea).   So, if I understand you (and remember
I'm a bit dense) it's just not possible, via the "embed/object" tag to
specify/access a file that doesn't reside in the directory hierarchy
that JBoss/Tomcat serves files from.

Once thanks for the info, it was helpful.  And if  you have any other
thoughts, suggestions, or pointers to docs, I'd love to hear them.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message