tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Piotr Woliński <>
Subject tomcat5.5 and page encoding in web.xml
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:05:07 GMT

I try to set page encoding for *.jsp in web.xml for my context:

---------- web.xml ------------------
<web-app xmlns=""

----------- end web.xml ------------------

It doesn't work.
I also tried with url-pattern: *.jsp

If I put into *.jsp file directive:
<%@ page pageEncoding="ISO-8859-2" %>
national characters looks OK.

That file is included in another jsp file.
I have more files like that and i'd like to set it ones in web.xml.
Previously it works with tomcat4 with no problems.

 From JavaServer Pages Specification Version 2.0:
"It is a translation-time error to name different encodings in the
pageEncoding attribute of the page directive of a JSP page and in a JSP
configuration element whose URL pattern matches the page."

I tried to set different encodings in this two places and has no errors.

Any suggestions?
Piotr Woliński

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: