tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ben Ricker <ben.ric...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Preferred Platform for Tomcat5
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:22:42 GMT
I have one word of advice: DON'T USE AIX! I am in the middle of a
(forced) migration from Solaris to AIX and it sucks ball peen hammers.

The Solaris installs were running like a top for over a year. In
another incarnation, I have Tomcat running for 4 years with nary an
issue (just some issues with OOM errors when the DB started hanging on
bad SQL).

Ben Ricker

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 13:44:20 -0600, Paul <paul@mnwebhost.net> wrote:
> I've usually used different distros of Linux.  Mainly Slackware (8.x,
> 9.x & 10.x) for 32bit x86 machines and Fedora Core 3 x86_64 on the
> Opteron systems.  I do stripped down installs, no X, no sound, etc..,
> basically installing only what the server needs.
>
> So far so good.  The Slackware boxes have been running flawless for a
> few years and have been updated from Tomcat 3.x up to 4.x numerous times
> without problems.  Actually for production I only have Tomcat 5 on the
> new FC3 machines, but I do have it on a Slackware development box and
> haven't had an issue.
>
> All boxes are blazingly fast, but our bottleneck is usually mysql, not
> tomcat.
>
> Slackware boxes
> P4 3.06G w/ HT & 1-2GB ram
> 2.4.2x kernels
> s/w raid 0, mysql 4.0.x, jdk1.4.2, tomcat 4.1.x
> 2-4 7.2K RPM PATA drives
>
> FC3 boxes
> Tyan S2882 boards w/ two 242 Opterons & 4-6GB RAM
> 3ware 9500S RAID controller (using raid5)
> 6+ 10K RPM SATA drives
> mysql 4.1.x & jdk1.5.x & tomcat 5.0.x
>
> Regards,
>
> -Paul
>

> Todd Reed wrote:
>
> >Excluding Windows, is there a particular platform that works better with
> >Tomcat5?  What are members of this list using for a production
> >installation of Tomcat?

Ben Ricker
He's just this guy, you know?