tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Lin <wool...@gmail.com>
Subject Athlon 64 question
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:04:10 GMT
A friend asked me to post this for him. He is experiencing some memory
issues related to Athlon 64 running Redhat Fedora Core3. Anyone know
if this is related to LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 issue?

thanks in advance

peter

his email below

We have a fairly complex tomcat app with the env as follow:
- tomcat 5.5.7 release
- mysql Connector/J 3.0.16-ga
- hibernate 2.17

Scenario 1:
- NForce3 motherboard, Athlon-64 3gz, 1gb RAM
- Fedora Core 3 for x86-64 (stock: kernel 2.6.9-1.667, glibc-2.3.3-74)
- Sun's jdk-1_5_0_01-linux-amd64
- Result with JMeter 100 threads:
 - box memory usage zoomed to max
 - response time went up and up
 - about 5 minutes, box respond time went way long
 - kill all client, memory usage is still maximum
   no memory is released until java process is terminated

Scenario 2:
- NForce3 motherboard, Athlon-64 3gz, 2gb RAM
- Windows XP (sp2)
- Sun's jdk-1_5_0_01 for windows
- Result with JMeter 100 threads:
 - memory usuage went up, but then stayed constant
 - response time were acceptable
 - kill all client, memory usage went down
 - very predictable behavior!

Questions please:
- What is going on? Is there there a huge problem w/ JVM for Linux?
- Is there a recommended linux kernel/distro and JVM for AMD-64?
 All the test out there shows tremendous speed for AMD-64 and java

Any help would be greatly appreciated.