tomcat-users mailing list archives

From <shak...@globalnorthstar.com>
Subject Re: Re: out of memory when there is plenty
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
JProfiler is best in case of Tomcat.
Shakeel.

> From: Oleg <olegtim@gmail.com>
> Date: 2005/02/19 Sat PM 06:15:10 EST
> To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: out of memory when there is plenty
>
> Hey guys, thanks for response.
> Yes JVM is 1.4.2_06
> So it can be pretty much anything not just the memory, alright that
> makes perfect sense, but creates a bigger problem, how do I find out
> now whats wrong. Will memory profiling help? JProbe or Optimizeit I
> think  those are the only two I keep on hearing about.
>
> Thansk
> Oleg
>

> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 08:38:34 -0600, Caldarale, Charles R
> <Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> wrote:
> > > From: Oleg [mailto:olegtim@gmail.com]
> > > Subject: out of memory when there is plenty
> > >
> > > My question is what can cause Tomcat to report out of memory error
> > > when so much is still available.
> >
> > As has been discussed before on this mailing list, the OutOfMemory exception is
somewhat of a catch-all.  The JVM generates this exception not just for overflowing heap space,
but also pretty much anytime limits imposed by the underlying OS are reached.  These limits
include such things as stack space, open files, and number of threads.

> > You didn't mention the JVM version you're using (this is often critical), but a
1.4 and above JVM can run out of space in the Permanent Generation portion of the heap, even
though there's plenty of room available in the other portions.  This occurs more frequently
in multiple classloader environments such as Tomcat, and, again, has been discussed in some
detail on this mailing list.

> > - Chuck
> >
> > THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY MATERIAL
and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please
contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.