tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: separate log4j configurations
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 22:50:27 GMT
Quoting Roberto Cosenza <roberto.cosenza@infoflexconnect.se>:

> >No, Tomcat will continue to log just as it was configured at the server
> level.
> >And, actually, his log4j.properties file in WEB-INF/classes wouldn't even
> get
> >picked up by log4j at all because the default logger repository has already
> >been configured (assuming no manual configuration) so there would be no
> >auto-configuration triggered.
> Yes...assuming no manual configuration :-D But in the general case, every
> new webapp will modify the configuration of the same log4j!
> /rob

You're calling the "general case" manual configuration?  I think the general
case is more likely to count on auto-configuration, in which case this isn't an
issue.  In any case, if log4j.jar is added to WEB-INF/lib, this is not an
issue.  Or if one uses a repository selector and sets the proper <env-entry> in
web.xml, this is not an issue.

That said, it is still possible for a rogue webapp to blow away the existing
configuration if it is logging in the server's logger repository by using
manual configuration.  If you are concerned about this, I suggest you bring it
up on the log4j-user list.  I tend to agree that it is a problem.  I've argued
for treating the default logger repository in a special way (not exactly with
this case in mind, but nevertheless...).

later,

Jake