tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Parsons Technical Services" <parsonstechni...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [OT] RE: Preferred Platform for Tomcat5
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2005 17:58:33 GMT
The processors in most of your hardware firewall are not nearly as fast as
people think. It is amazing how much of a hog a gui is.

Unless you are running a very large site and need support most people can
and will run on older stuff. Until it becomes apparent that the web part is
mission critical, a lot of companies will not allocate the funds to the web
servers and rely on retired servers or desktop machines to fill the need.

Doug

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Crowther" <Peter.Crowther@melandra.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>; "Peter Lin"
<woolfel@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 12:40 PM
Subject: [OT] RE: Preferred Platform for Tomcat5

> From: Peter Lin [mailto:woolfel@gmail.com]
> makes me wonder how many people bother to upgrade to the latest/newest
> hardware :)

Fewer as the hardware becomes 'fast enough'.  For example, up until
2001, the training centre I managed still used three Linux firewalls I'd
built.  486SX/25, 8Mbytes, 170Mbyte HDD, each with four 10/100 ISA
netcards.  Each could keep up a very respectable 5Mbyte/s throughput;
they were fast enough, reliable (and we had images of the HDDs and spare
hardware); why upgrade?  These machines once got to 14 months uptime
before a UPS failure(!) took them out; other times, they were restarted
once a year when the building power was tested.

- Peter