tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Reshma Bhatia" <>
Subject RE: Configuring dbcp in / ROOT context (tomcat 5.5.7)
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:52:25 GMT

Refer to the attached Readme.txt file and verify that you have done these
I think it should solve your problem.

Have also attached the server.xml & web.xml files which worked fine for us.
let me know whether ur problem gets solved by this.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stuart Lewis []
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 4:16 PM
Subject: Configuring dbcp in / ROOT context (tomcat 5.5.7)

I've searched the archives and generally on google, and whilst people
see the problem a lot, I've not found a definitive answer for how to
configure dbcp in the root context.

In server.xml I have:

<Context path="/DBTest" docBase="DBTest" debug="5" reloadable="true"

<Resource name="jdbc/postgres" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
               maxActive="100" maxIdle="30" maxWait="10000"
               username="whatver" password="whatver"
	       url="jdbc:postgresql://" scope="Shareable"

If I copy this, and have it the same, except:

<Context path="/" docBase="ROOT" debug="5" reloadable="true"

then it fails, with:

org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create JDBC
driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'

How should I be configuring my postgress connection for use in the root

Any help will be hugely appreciated, and will stop me from pulling any
more of my hair out!

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

kindly delete  this e-mail from your records. If it appears that this
us immediately at and delete this mail.

View raw message