tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "James_sys" <james_...@mysparekey.co.uk>
Subject Problem getting http redirected to https
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:17:09 GMT
Hi,

I've been wrestling with SSL on Tomcat for a while now. Hope you can offer
some useful pointers.

My problem is around getting http requests auto-redirected to return an
https response.

I can request https://exampleServer.com:8443/testPage.html and get an
encrypted response.

However, if I request http://exampleServer.com:8080/testPage.html I see an
HTTP 500 "internal error" message. I was expecting the server to internally
redirect the request to https://... and return an encrypted response.

I've configured a security-constraint in web.xml for testPage.html. I've
checked the servlet and catalina logs but don't see any errors or warnings.

I'm working with Tomcat 4.1.30 on a FreeBSD v4.7 platform. I know these are
old versions, but I'm constrained by other dependencies in the Production
environment.

Apologies if this is a common problem - I have checked the archives but
didn't find what I need.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

James.