tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Daniel Watrous" <nos_pam...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT]web development fee
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:00:53 GMT
Epyonne,

First off, I don't think that you hijacked anyone's thread, but this list
seems to be very sensitive to that (and perhaps more affected by it than
other lists I have seen).

>From my experience there are a couple of options you can pursue:
1) You could build the application from the ground up and charge an hourly
rate.  The rate will have to be agreed upon by you and the person
contracting you.
2) You could develop the eCommerce application at your own cost and sell a
license to it.  In this case you would have more direct control over the
features you build into it.  Also, while this costs you more up front there
is more possibility to recover the cost in selling multiple licenses.
3) You could purchase a license to an existing application and adapt it to
meet your clients' needs.  In this case you would likely charge a flat fee
to recover your hard costs for the purchase and an hourly after that for any
adaptations.  In this case I personally would ask for the hard costs up
front so as to not go to the expense and then have the client change his/her
mind.

Now about the way you asked your question, I'm not sure if the "web
application" you have developed for your employer is an eCommerce
application.  In the event that it is eCommerce related you will likely use
that as a base for whatever you build for your new client.  In this case you
should discuss with your employer how he feels about you building off of a
code base that he has funded.  It may be that you could work out an
arrangement with your employer to accomplish option 3 above, and that your
employer will give you a "license" at a significant savings to you.

As far as contracts go,  you should probably consult with a lawyer for that.

Daniel