tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Rickard <David.Rick...@techbooks.com>
Subject Tomcat Won't Shutdown
Date Sat, 15 Jan 2005 01:07:00 GMT
System: SunOS 5.9 Generic_117171-13 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440
Apache: 2.0.52
Tomcat: 4.1.31
Connector: jk-1.2.6

We installed Apache and Tomcat without error (built Apache from source,
loaded Tomcat from binary), and configured the connector so that they were
talking correctly (the /examples/jsp/ site comes up fine);

We experimented with an application that would use a ServletContextListener
and the Jakarta Commons/Configuration package to load application variables
t startup; the ServletContextListener by itself worked fine--i.e., it
loaded hard-coded variables into ServletContext and they could be retrieved
by JSPs, servlets etc;

The problems started when we added Commons/Configuration to the
ServletContextListener: the application would not load, and catalina.out
listed various ClassNotFound errors for needed Jakarta Commons classes
(from digester, logging etc)--even though the jars are in
tomcat/commons/lib; so we placed the latest JARs for commons-lang,
commons-digester, commons-logging in the application WEB-INF/lib directory;
the application started loading, though the ServletContextListener could
not find the configuration files--kept spitting out "Exception caught
opening stream to URL" errors (which is presumably just a file-pathing issue);

Only something has been stepped on, because Tomcat will no longer shut
down: when we execute shutdown.sh, it throws the following error:
Jan 14, 2005 4:40:43 PM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester startElement
SEVERE: Begin event threw exception
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer
[full stack trace is in the attached file]

And catalina.out records the following errors when we try to execute
startup.sh:
Jan 14, 2005 4:43:03 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol init
SEVERE: Error initializing endpoint
java.net.BindException: Address already in use:8080

Obviously, port 8080 is already in use because Tomcat hasn't released
it--because it didn't shutdown as requested; our questions are:
1) What got stepped on in Tomcat to cause this behavior?
2) Is there another way to stop Tomcat (other than system reboot), to see
if we can get it to restart gracefully?
3) Is there a way to fix Tomcat, short of re-installing it?

--

David Rickard
Software Engineer

TechBooks/GTS
Your Single Source Solution!
Los Angeles CA * York, PA * Boston,MA * New Delhi, India
Visit us on the World Wide Web
<http://www.techbooks.com>http://www.techbooks.com

david.rickard@techbooks.com
5650 Jillson St., Los Angeles, CA 90040