tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: HttpSession usage
Date Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:07:38 GMT
Hi,

Sounds to me like you need to do some reading on JSP/Servlets, any book will explain sessions
to you and provide examples. There are numerous online resources too.

Yes, session is the object you should use and the getAttribute and setAttribute methods would
retrieve and set variables in that scope respectively.

You don't need to worry about identifying the user in most cases, this is managed internally
with cookies, i.e you would not need to check, you can assume.

The reason you see jsessionid being appended onto some URLs ni JSPs is because the user may
have cookies turned off, in which case when they post or whatever back to the server, the
server may create a new session.

I'm not entirely sure of the strategy or decisions developers use to determine if they are
going to add jsessionid manually to URLs in JSPs, perhaps someone can pick that up for you.
It may be that you could test the user's ability to store cookies and make a decision there.

I would recommend picking up a good JSP/Servlet manual for examples.

Cheers, Allistair.