tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "David Vandaele" <>
Subject RE: Still having OutOfMemory Problems (Tomcat 4.1.31)
Date Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:05:17 GMT
Try printing out this:

Check out the API if you want to know the exact meaning of these methods, but they are pretty
obvious I think.
Now print these somewhere you know you'll get before the OutOfMemError occurs, or some place
like the service() method or something.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Johnson []
Sent: maandag 17 januari 2005 18:52
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Still having OutOfMemory Problems (Tomcat 4.1.31)

HI all.

Well I'm still getting my out of memory problem fairly consistently
(again) using Tomcat 4.1.31 with my Struts application.

When I look st the memory usage, it says tomcat is using about 110k of
memory for the VM, but that's just looking at the task manager.

Tomcat is installed as a service using a bat file (follows). Note the
-Xms128M and -Xmx512M options are set...if doesnt seem to matter what
I set these options to....even if I set them to 32m/64m!

How can I tell if tomcat is REALLY using those settings? It doesnt
seem to be!!!!

@SET JAVA_HOME=C:\j2sdk_1_4_0_2
@SET TOMCAT_JVM="%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll"
@SET TOMCAT_CLASSPATH=%TOMCAT_HOME%\bin\bootstrap.jar;%TOMCAT_HOME%\common\lib\servlet.jar
@SET TOMCAT_LOG=%TOMCAT_HOME%\logs\stdout.log

%TOMCAT_HOME%\bin\tomcat.exe -install "Apache Tomcat 4.1.31"
%TOMCAT_JVM% -Djava.class.path=%TOMCAT_CLASSPATH% -DXms128M -DXmx512M
-DXX:+PrintTenuringDistribution -DXX:+PrintGCDetails -Xverbosegc
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=%TOMCAT_ENDORSED% -Dcatalina.home=%TOMCAT_HOME%
-start org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService -params start
-stop org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService -params stop -out

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: