tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: logging remote IP address
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:37:11 GMT
Sorry I'm coming into this discussion so late.  I tend not to read work
email on weekends for my own sanity.

Let's not equate IPs with users.  The fact of the matter is there are a
lot of places that use cable routers to share one internet IP with a
number of different clients.  Here in Ithaca, it's as common as water
with student housing doing some not so legal things with their
Roadrunner hook-ups.  I'm sure other areas are doing the same stuff with
both cable routers and wireless access points.

The facts of the matter are you have two different sessions with two
different login.  Personally I would consider that enough to determine
there are two different people regardless of the common IP.

--David