tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Markus Schönhaber <mailing-tomcat-u...@schoenhaber.de>
Subject Re: logging remote IP address
Date Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:59:10 GMT
Mark wrote:
> I'm just tring to see if http request that came from one IP address
> has more then 1 client behind it. I've seen on some webpages that My
> IP is displayed as both external and internal - so it means it's
> doable - but the question is how to get this info in Tomcat.

If your local an your external (NATed) IP addresses are both displayed
by a webpage you access, you are almost certainly accessing this site
via a proxy that set the "X-Forwarded-For" HTTP-header-field to contain
your local IP (the IP the proxy itself was accessed from).
But that's nothing you can rely on.

Regards
   mks