tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Andrzej Jan Taramina" <andr...@chaeron.com>
Subject Long running requests and timeouts?
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:37:23 GMT
I have a situation where some requests that get sent to Tomcat are very long
running (basically batch operations).  I've been testing with a request that
takes just over 7 minutes to process and returns and XML document as a
response.

The problem I'm having is that the response gets truncated.  It's always
truncated at a consistent spot.  It always sends back exactly 3207 characters
in the response body and this is consistent using Firefox or a commons-
httpClient based script.

Shorter running requests don't truncate anything, regardless of how long the
response might be.

I'm running Tomcat 5.0.28 and my Connector in the Tomcat server.xml file
looks like:

<Connector 	port="80"
			   	maxThreads="150"
				minSpareThreads="25"
				maxSpareThreads="75"
			   	enableLookups="false"
				redirectPort="8443"
				acceptCount="100"
			   	debug="0"
				disableUploadTimeout="true"
     				tcpNoDelay="true"
    				connectionLinger="-1"
    				connectionTimeout="6000000"
    				connectionUploadTimeout="6000000"
    				keepAlive="true"
    				maxKeepAliveRequests="-1"
     				serverSocketTimeout="0"/>

I've tried all sorts of timeout values in the above....including zero values,
but the behaviour is consistent. Long running invocations truncate the
response body to 3207 characters.  I've also tried changing the client side
timeout values, but again, to no avail.

I'm kinda stumped as to what might cause this, especially given the very
consistent response body length that is always returned.  Almost seems like
some strange buffering issue that is timer-related.

Any ideas?
Andrzej Jan Taramina
http://www.chaeron.com