tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Wilson" <jnwil...@dallas.photronics.com>
Subject Where / How to place app config file without overwriting during deploy
Date Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:22:46 GMT
My current upgrade procedures are to shutdown tomcat 3.x, move the
current version of my webapp directory somewhere else, recreate the
/webapp directory, then un-jar the war file created by NetBeans. After
doing this I then have to modify the WEB-INF/app.config file with
customer-specific information. The code is identical, just configuration
items change. If the customer has changed their app.config then I have
to roll those changes into the new app.config file. Also, I have to copy
the log files out of the old version into the new versions' /logs
directory and modify the stock log4j.properties to point to their
desired directory. Also, I can't always have access to the server to do
this so I've written a procedure to explain this to another.

Is there a way to store customer configuration info(app.config,
log4j.properties) outside of the app and have the app still know how to
find it?

There must be a better way - nothing in the Tomcat Application
Developers Guide that covers this.

Thanks in advance,

JW