tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jukka Uusisalo <jukka.uusis...@dnainternet.net>
Subject Re: WAR file creation
Date Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:32:22 GMT
Warron French wrote:
> Can someone please provide me with the most direct path or keywords to lookup HOW TO
build a WAR file.  I am not a developer.

> I am totally overwhelmed everytime I hear that I have a new "application" to deploy (which
I am a little better dealing with now), but I do not know how to create a war file that contains
HTML, JSPs, Java Servlets, and etc...

> All I need is a document or webpage that says... you need this application, and you use
it this way.

> Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Oh also, I don't think this makes any difference, but our servers are both Linux &
Windows based.

> We run JBoss and also JRun.

Hi,

I think it would be good practice to require your developers to create
war file for you.

http://java.sun.com/blueprints/guidelines/designing_enterprise_applications_2e/technologies/technologies3.html#1043856

Anyway, there is some links that might be useful

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/tooldocs/tools.html#basic
look jar-tool, war file is same format that war file.

I think you should read also servlet spefication specks
http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr154/index.html

And maybe it would be worth of use tools like ant
http://ant.apache.org/

- Jukka -