tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hollerman Geralyn M <gmh2...@louisiana.edu>
Subject <Context> question
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:29:25 GMT
I was recently given a new application to maitain. It uses Tomcat 5.0.16 and an
Oracle database. I have used various versions of Tomcat to work with
applications on two other kinds of databases, one of which uses DBCP, so I am
somewhat familiar with the needed parameters and went to the Tomcat JNDI HOW-TO
and the Tomcat Configuration Reference to refresh my memory on just what this
was doing, but I have to admit I don't completely understand this - what I have
included is the <Context>.xml file for the "new" application. What I don't
understand is that first <ResourceParams> set of statements - it appears to be
saying to look at the "database" of users in the tomcat-users.xml file in /conf
- but why? That file hasn't been altered to contain anything but the defaults,
and the person that gave me the "new" app was the one that set up Tomcat for it,
so I assume its set up as needed! Also, why is there no factory in the 2nd
<ResourceParams> in this file? I thought one was needed. The person that gave me
this said DBCP was implemented, but I don't see how this would do it.
----
<Context docBase="graduate" path="/graduate">
   <Resource auth="Container" name="jdbc/ConnectionPool" type="javax.sql.DataSour
ce"/>
    <ResourceParams name="UserDatabase">
       <parameter>
         <name>factory</name>
         <value>org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory</value>
       </parameter>
       <parameter>
         <name>pathname</name>
         <value>conf/tomcat-users.xml</value>
       </parameter>
     </ResourceParams>
     <ResourceParams name="jdbc/ConnectionPool">
       <parameter>
         <name>maxWait</name>
         <value>5000</value>
       </parameter>
       <parameter>
         <name>maxActive</name>
         <value>100</value>
       </parameter>
       <parameter>
         <name>password</name>
         <value>xxxx</value>
       </parameter>
       <parameter>
         <name>url</name>
         <value>jdbc:oracle:thin:@xxxx</value>
       </parameter>
       <parameter>
         <name>driverClassName</name>
       </parameter>
       <parameter>
         <name>maxIdle</name>
         <value>5</value>
       </parameter>
       <parameter>
         <name>username</name>
         <value>xxxx</value>
       </parameter>
     </ResourceParams>
</Context>

----

Could someone please explain to me just how this is using DBCP?

Thanks!!
--
Lynn Hollerman.