tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alan Deikman <Alan.Deik...@znyx.com>
Subject Question about JNDI resources
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:56:57 GMT
I'm just learning this stuff, but having good success so far.  In my
SQL-backed bean I use a JDBCResource as per the documentation:

protected static Connection getConnection() {
        //System.out.println("User.getConnection Attempting to get
connection");
        try {
            Context initContext = new InitialContext();
            Context envContext  =
(Context)initContext.lookup("java:/comp/env");
            DataSource ds = (DataSource) envContext.lookup("jdbc/zzzz");
            Connection conn = ds.getConnection();
            return conn;
        } catch (NamingException ne) {
            System.out.println("User.getConnection caught Naming
exception");
            System.out.println(ne.toString());
        } catch (SQLException sqle) {
            System.out.println("User.getConnection caught SQL exception");
            System.out.println(sqle.toString());
        }

This works, way cool.  My question is do I need to look up two new
Context objects and a new DataSource each time I get a connection?  Or
can I just store initContext, envContext, and ds in static variables and
load them just once for all instances of the class?

If that works, why don't the examples do it that way?

Alan Deikman
ZNYX Networks