tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Sidney-Woollett <>
Subject Re: Apache, Tomcat, WebDAV, and Web Folders... Oh, my!
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:13:35 GMT
I've also written a custom webdav servlet because we need to work with a
custom/virtualised file store. Our servlet works fine for everything
except some flavours of M$shite Windows - the symptoms I get are
identical to the ones you describe.

Like you our server is not running on localhost, and the user's
directory is not the root, and the user has to authenticate (using basic

As yet I have not been able to work out a solution, although I know it
exists because sites like have somehow worked around the
problem - I just haven't figured out how they do it.

If you find a solution to this problem can you let me know - it has
driven us mad for months before we finally gave up...

We recommend users install webdrive - it works great but costs US$30 a pop!

Thanks for any help (if you find a solution)

John Sidney-Woollett

ps Here is another document that may help you:;EN-US;269681

And some specific instructions that work (sometimes) but I don't want my
users to have to play around with their OS installs:

The problem is a conflicting Office Installation (since Office 2002)
which changes the webdav components of Windows XP. To change them back
(to the working one) you need to follow these steps:

1. You will find a file called webfldrs.msi (Normally under
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\webfldrs.msi - if you installed Windows XP Servicepack 1
you will find it under \WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\webfldrs.msi).

2. Start the installation with double-click or right-click -> webfldrs.msi.

3. Now you have to click on "Select reinstall mode".

4. Uncheck "Repair all detected reinstall problems".
Check "Force all files to be reinstalled, regardless of checksum or
version". Check "Verify that required user registry entries are present".
Check "Verify that required machine registry entries are present". Check
"Validate shortcuts".

5. Press OK and REINSTALL

6. Normally no reboot is required and now everything goes fine.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message